Sunday, March 12, 2006

Mark. An Obssession.

Every once in a while, I'll get addicted to something to the point where I become a virtual expert on the subject, or I'll get addicted to a person, usually a famous figure, who I could write a biography for.

My latest addiction: Mark Ruffalo. I cannot explain what it is about this actor, but it's not a juvenile crush that is the reasoning behind following his career in movies, in fact, his looks are secondary. I can't say I've seen a lot of his movies, yet, but in the last month or so, I've managed to see three of his not-so-famous films, and found that he has a trademark which brings something to the screen- something resembling innocence, but not quite. This trademark peaks through, even when he's playing a New York City detective investigating murders and donning tough-looking tattoos like in the movie, In the Cut. As Detective Giovanni Malloy, a character who originally appeared in the book of the same title by Susanna Moore as a tough no non-sense kind of guy, Mark Ruffalo was able to take a sleazy New York detective and turn him into a gentleman.

His innocence even peaks through his role as Jack Linden, a married man with two children who has an affair with his best friend's wife in We Don't Live Here Anymore. And in My Life Without Me, he fits right in as a bookworm who knowingly has an affair and falls in love with a married woman with two girls, but is unaware of a terminal illness, which finally kills her.

Ruffalo's choices in role selection have, at least in the three films I've seen recently, impressed me and helped in adding him to the list of people I feel are the best in their field.

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Ooh you need to see You Can Count On Me. That one is such a good movie. So sweet, but not sappy. Very emotional. I watched it in a screenwriting class and immediately fell for it.

Course, our buddy Mark here has done some crap too (just like anyone). View From The Top was miserably bad, and I haven't seen 13 Going On 30 nor do I ever plan to.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Futbol Lover Girl said...

I felt the same about 13 Going on 30 before I involuntarily saw it, and I must say that it's not as bad as it could've been. It's certainly better than lot of the romantic comedy category movies coming out these days. I wouldn't say it's Mark Ruffalo's shining moment, but he could've done worse, for sure. It's a fun and sweet movie, if anything.

I brought View From The Top home from the library, but I still haven't had a chance to see it, so I can't comment on that one. I do highly recommend We Don't Live Here Anymore as well as My Life Without Me. In the Cut you could live without seeing, but it's one of the few cases where the movie is better than the book, so I would recommend it if you're like me and like comparing books to movies and vice versa.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Hey, I have been subscribing to your blog, but you haven't posted anything new in quite a while! When do I get some new reading material??? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home