Monday, January 16, 2006

I'm negotiable

You'd think that with a versatile Bachelor's degree, a ton of experience working in different office environments and computer literacy, someone like me (who possesses the things I've just listed) would be able to find a job easily. Maybe not as a CEO, or manager, or even a supervisor, but a decent job where a brain is required.

Well folks... It's not easy. In fact, it's harder for me to find a job than someone with a GED. You know why? Because someone with a GED is the lower-cost option for that potential employer. I think it's pretty obvious why employers feel that GED holders are the cheaper option, but I have a couple things to point out that may help employers look at both groups and consider both for a job and not one over the other.

Someone with a GED is someone who decided to quit going to high school, or didn't go at all because they were either: a) they were too smart for it and had better things to do with their time (and power to them for knowing early on what they want to do with their lives), or b) someone who doesn't understand the importance of commitment. Of course, I'm generalising, and as with all generalisations, they are not true to all members of a group. There is nothing wrong with getting a GED and skipping high school. No knocking of GED holders here! But high school is a time for developing minds to understand responsibility by having to meet deadlines, follow meticulous instructions on the appearance of a paper, which must be handed in with perfect content within the one-inch margins requested by that difficult teacher.

Someone with a GED generally hasn't spent half a semester learning how to put a coverletter and resume together... A helpful lesson lost with bad prom pictures. I did not spend all those half semesters in English class perfecting my resume to have it overlooked! Especially now that I actually have actual stuff to put into it!

And finally... Sure, some college grads are delusional and think that a degree will get them a bigger bank account, but reality hits fast and too soon after graduation for that delusion to linger too long. So, if you're an employer and you're reading this, please give us graduates a chance to "present our qualifications further in a personal interview," and let us be the judge of how much we're worth.

We just might surprise you and give you more bang for your buck.

I'm almost sure of it.

3 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

It sucks when your degree doesn't help you and even puts you in a disadvantage. I lost out on a job myself that way. They just didn't think someone with a film degree was going to stick around to be the front desk girl at a production company. :(

But don't be too hard on those GED-ers. My bro-in-law's bro (my double bro-in-law?), if I remember the story correctly, wasn't ready for studies in high school. But once he was ready, he got his GED and even went on to get (I think) a PhD! He now teaches at a university. Another bro-in-law also got his GED and then an associate's degree, and (other than the occassional lay off) does pretty well in the managerial world. My mom also got her GED. She didn't use it for higher education, but it was always important to her to go back and do it, so she did! Yay her!

To me, what a GED says is that the person got their s**t together as an adult, and is even more dedicated to furthering his/her life than the schmucks who just went through high school without even trying. I think it takes more self-discipline and determination to get a GED than a diploma. Hell, they'll graduate anyone from high school if they stay in long enough. (and I mean that quite literally.)

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Futbol Lover Girl said...

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to come off so hard on GED'ers... I mean, Tracy got her GED and she definitely became an adult way before I did. I was just trying to express the frustration of going through all the schooling we go through only to have our chances of employment hurt just for having a degree. If I only had a degree I don't think that merits me having more chance of getting a job than someone without, but since I have a degree, experience, and skills, it just makes it all that more frustrating! I'm gonna put all that into the post, because I was worried that I would come off as arrogant.

Thanks again for the input! :-)

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Hey now, you can't go and change your original post after people are reading it and the discussion has started. Now I look like an ass commenting on something you have already addressed! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home