Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Rude Group


In my so far fruitless job search I've signed up with a number of websites to post my resume. Job boards, employment agency websites, individual company websites... you name it, I've signed up for it. I haven't had any luck, yet, and so far, I've only been completely ignored. Having seen this pattern, I decided to take matters into my own hands today and called one of the agencies (I won't mention any names) I had signed up with online. I hoped that perhaps dealing with a representative of theirs, I might increase my chances of being acknowledged.

The woman who answered the phone sounded nice and was helpful in directing me to "Derek". "Derek" was not at his desk, so I was directed to his voicemail. I professionally stated my name, purpose of calling him and left my number so that he could contact me at his own convenience. I hung up the telephone with a smile on my face and a feeling of satisfaction about being proactive and going the extra mile with my ambitious job search for a promising position... I'd mostly sent resumes online where they went into the great abyss where ignored resumes go, so it was exciting for me to be able to contact someone directly. I was proud.

My job searching for the day wasn't over yet, so I came online and found that I had a new email from "Derek". "Derek" had politely replied to my voicemail through email with this personalized letter:

Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you in your job search at this time. Your background does not fall within the required skill set of the positions for which you applied. We wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Sincerely,

The ******** Group

PLEASE NOTE: Replies to this email address will be deleted. Please send all inquiries to denver@********group.com


Though there is nothing wrong with this response, I am a little vexed by the fact that the reply to my professional voicemail was unprofessional in the way it was carried out. In the hopes of having my thoughts distributed to as many people as possible, I hope that this thought reaches all the "Derek's" out there, who are unfortunately selecting and sending the workforce into the job market.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home